- What is Best Doctors?
Best Doctors is a suite of services that enables people to draw on the knowledge of medical experts to make sure they have the right diagnosis, the right treatment and the right care. In the U.S., Best Doctors is offered by employers at no cost to employees and their families. It is also available from health plans as a policyholder benefit. Best Doctors helps its members:
- Confirm a diagnosis or treatment plan through an expert review of their medical records
- Get expert answers to questions about a medical condition
- Receive support when making treatment decisions
- Find a local medical specialist
Our services are 100% confidential and provided over the phone and through our proprietary web platform. There is no need to travel or visit doctors’ offices.
As a truly global benefits provider, we complement our U.S. services with high quality health insurance in Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada.
- What types of medical conditions qualify for Best Doctors?
Best Doctors provides services for a wide range of medical conditions. They can include everything from back pain and sports injuries to chronic diseases and life-threatening illnesses. Best Doctors does not provide services for mental health disorders as in-person evaluations are more appropriate.
- Who are the doctors Best Doctors uses?
Best Doctors physicians include the world’s top medical specialists. They are selected by other doctors through a comprehensive review process. Best Doctors surveys physicians nationwide to find out which doctors they trust most. Every physician in the survey is asked, “If you or a loved one needed a doctor in a certain specialty, who would you choose?”
At present, the Best Doctors in America™ database includes over 53,000 physicians representing more than 450 medical specialties and subspecialties. Doctors cannot pay to be included on the Best Doctors list or nominate themselves for consideration.
- What services does Best Doctors provide in the U.S.?
Best Doctors provides four services to help members and their families make the right medical decisions:
- In-Depth Medical Reviews (InterConsultation®) – Through our InterConsultation® service, a member’s diagnosis and treatment plan are reviewed in detail by a leading physician expert. Our expert provides a comprehensive report, either confirming what the member has been told or recommending a change. It’s like getting a second opinion, only better.
- Ask the Expert – Members can get expert answers to basic questions about a diagnosis, treatment or a health condition. They call Best Doctors to discuss their concerns and we deliver their questions to the most appropriate specialist. We’ll even help determine what questions to ask.
- Find a Best Doctor™ – If a member needs to find a local specialist who is approved by his or her health plan, Best Doctors can help. We have a database of more than 53,000 medical experts in over 450 specialties and subspecialties. We’ll find the doctor who’s right for each member.
- Explore My Options™ - We help members understand all their treatment options, including drugs and medical procedures, before making a medical decision. We provide information, coaching and resources so that a member facing a medical challenge has a better idea of which step is best to take.